I wanted to limit “variables” I would play with during the whole process. This is why, I have settled on limited colour palette – dark glass / orange glow / black metal and simple plain background. Different styles, techniques and methods were plenty enough for me to explore.
I started with “locking” the camera position, general resolution and render settings, lights and guide geometry and I started experimenting. Some letters were relatively easy to do, as I was familiar with Displacement modifiers from Mantissa’s tutorials. Others took quite a while to research, by watching various tutorials for specific bits of information or readying posts of Blender Stack Exchange.
In few instances, I ended up working through different versions of a final design, before I was happy with final outcome. For example 7, 0, V, B and M, to name just a few. I even revisited certain letters, to improve initial render or to “copy and adapt” the set up on a different mesh completely.